MIKE, CO-FOUNDER & ED
Mike in 3 words: Happy Introspective Creative.
Mikes love to be outside with great people. He was planning on being a ski patroller for his career, but then got cancer, started Survive & Thrive just after finishing his treatments and now has become a health care professional with a MSc. in Health Services Research. He is currently pursuing his PhD. in Nursing at the University of Calgary as well as working with Alberta Health Services’ Engagement and Patient Experience Department. He can’t believe that he gets paid (and is getting a PhD!?) for making digital stories and films with patients, family members and health care professionals. His life didn’t end up going the way he was expecting, but he is happy with the choices he has made and still gets to adventure a lot.
- What’s your favorite ’90s jam? Anything by Collective Soul.
- What is your favourite outdoor activity? Oooh… this is hard one… right now I am loving extended backcountry skiing hut trips and river trips but I love pretty much anything that gets me out of cell phone range for an extended period of time.
- What is the longest road trip you have ever done? Calgary to San Diego return… in a weekend.
- What were you like in high school?
- What are you known for? Helping people see their life as a compelling story with lots of wisdom in it.
- Who would win a fight between Spiderman and Batman? Batman, but only because Alfred is a bad a$$ and has Bruce’s back… you don’t want to get Alfred mad.
- You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why? A strange purple-y brown colour… like a bad bruise. Don’t know why, just makes sense.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Alfred.